What is Facebook and Facebook advertising?
Facebook is an online social media platform mostly used for networking based in Menlo Park, California. It was founded in 2004 in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Facebook advertising is the creation of promotions and marketing content that will be featured on this platform.
Why do you need to advertise on Facebook?
- A ridiculous amount of time is spent on Facebook. The average man spends up to 40 minutes per day on Facebook.
- There is little or no organic reach today. Sadly, Facebook has significantly reduced the amount of content visible from pages on user’s timelines and feed.
- Great and precise targeting options. You can select all the features of your audience depending on your target market.
- Easy to use and availability of great managing tool. It is easy to upload a picture and create an ad out of it. There are also several tools that can be used to enhance your ads’ efficiency such as Pages Manager.
- Huge potential market. Billions of people across the world use Facebook daily.
HOW TO CREATE A FACEBOOK ACCOUNT AND A FACEBOOK PAGE.
Steps to create a Facebook account:
- Create an email address or use a known email address registered under you.
- Go to the webpage www.facebook.com then click sign up now.
- You will fill up the profile details with the name, email address, birthday and passwords to be used.
Steps to create a Facebook page:
- Log in to your account and go to http://www.facebook.com/pages/create.
- Click to choose a Page category according to the description of the page you are creating.
- Select a more specific category from the drop-down menu and fill out the page name.
UPLOADING CONTENT TO YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE
How to get the right profile and cover photos for your page
Your page has now been created. The next step is to edit your profile picture as the cover page. You can create the template for the cover photo from free template design websites such as Canva.
As for the profile picture you can choose whichever picture to display as long as you have the legal rights to it. I would advise you to create a logo to use on your profile.
How to create a post
On your page, tap on the write something tab, here you can share your content as a post. You can post pictures, videos, gifs, or simply words.
CREATING YOUR FIRST ADVERT/CAMPAIGN
Understanding how adverts work
Facebook adverts are generated through boosting of posts or pages. They run for a specific amount of time as set by the manager. The budget also determines the size of the audience that will be reached. An increase in the budget will relate to a significant increase in the audience reached.
Once created, adverts can be paused or stopped at any point. Reviews can be done to determine the effectiveness of a campaign. This can be monitored easily through a pages manager account. Here you can see the number of audience reached by a campaign, the timings during the day when the audience was active and the number of clicks on the ad.
Setting up your mode of payment
The following steps should be taken in setting up a payment means:
- Open your Facebook ads manager account: https://www.facebook.com/ads/manager/
- Click on the menu tab on the top left and select “Billing and Payment Methods”.
- Select edit payment method.
- Then click on the tab add payment method
You have the option of adding a credit or debit card, PayPal account online banking and the Facebook advert coupon as payment methods.
What ads are approved by Facebook
There are various guidelines that have to be followed before an ad is approved by Facebook. Content such as tobacco ads, adult content, drugs and drug related products are prohibited on Facebook. Before creating content it is important to go through the complete advertising policy guide for Facebook here https://www.facebook.com/policies/ads/.
Creating an advert
You can create an advert by boosting a post created by you on your page. You can also boost your page as a whole.
This can be done by taking the following steps:
- Click on the icon Boost post on your post.
- Select the right audience by keying in your audiences’ characteristics so as to ensure the right target group is reached. Here you can select the age, gender, and location e.g. of your potential audience.
- Set a budget and the number of days to run the advert. The minimum amount per day is $1.
Opting for Instagram boosting
- Determine whether you would want your ad to be displayed on Instagram. This can only be done once you have linked your Facebook page and Instagram.
- To link your Instagram account and the Facebook page follow the following steps:
- Go to settings
- Look for Instagram Adverts on the bottom left
- Add you Instagram!
Components of successful Facebook ads
Use of images that are visually appealing is key to having successful ads. The images or videos must be high quality and easy to understand.
- Less text content on images
Images with a higher amount of text will not be successful in reaching the target audience. It becomes overwhelming for the reader to understand!
- Clear call to action
All ads should be backed by a clear action or steps to take for the audience. The viewer should be informed on what to do next. Relevant examples of calls to action are “call now” or “order here” or “book yours here”
There should be a strong correlation between your page, the ads and the content in your ad. They should all be related. For example you can’t advertise baby shoes on a page that sells farming tools.
IS FACEBOOK ADVERTISING WORKING FOR YOU?
How to check and understand analysis of running adverts
You can check the success rate of your ads by reviewing ads that have ended.
This can be done by clicking on the tab view results that will appear on your ended ad.
Here you will be able to view the impact your ad has had on your page.
You will be able to acquire the relevant data that can be used to determine the effectiveness of your ad.
The activity on your page will also determine the success of your ads. The number or new orders, likes, or enquiries also determine the success rate of your ads
In the case that your ads do not meet your set targets you can review the audience, the ad content and the budget.